PokeArena
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best HS marching band in the world!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ScaldingHotSoup
Baby pokemon
Baby pokemon
ScaldingHotSoup

Number of posts : 92
Best HS marching band in the world! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Best HS marching band in the world! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-17

Best HS marching band in the world! Empty
PostSubject: Best HS marching band in the world!   Best HS marching band in the world! EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 5:45 pm

Ok, since Tocs is more or less in charge of this whole thing, I bet there's a fairly high ratio (at least for the moment) of band geeks in here. Here is the best high school marching band in the world.

Nishihara Senior High Marching Band from Okinawa, Japan - Ardiente Sentimentale 2000-2001

Important points:
  • 50 hours of practice a week (a workweek is 40 hours), so imagine band camp every week for five months with school six days a week piled on top. o.o
  • 5 months a year
  • The whole ensemble is volunteer only, and there are NO tryouts or alternates.
  • They guide off of masking tape 'X's spaced every 5 meters instead of nice fat yard lines

Of note:
  • Amazing guard, I've watched the video probably 20 times and haven't found a drop
  • Their brass has insane tounging ability, around 2:22 on the video, you can hear what seems to be triple tounging.
  • You can't hear their woodwinds much in the video, but their feature sections sound pretty good. 7:52 for a beautifully clean run section.
  • General shapes, spacing, and form are superb
  • 4:42 for an amazing horn drop
  • I don't like the Alto soloist's metered rhythm, but at least it's consistent. Probably just some stylistic thing.
  • 7:09 amazing staccatissimo and dynamic contrast
  • 8:04 for the stereotypical trumpet blast
  • 8:55 for a flag tossed like a javelin. Amazingness.

If anyone disagrees that they own any HS band in the United States, watch Avon HS's video (reputedly the best here) and contrast them. :-)

Last edited by ScaldingHotSoup on Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot a tag)
Back to top Go down
PCG520
MMO Co-ordinator
MMO Co-ordinator
PCG520

Number of posts : 177
Best HS marching band in the world! Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Best HS marching band in the world! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Best HS marching band in the world!   Best HS marching band in the world! EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Tocs and I both were in the Rose Bowl Parade this year in Pasadena, California.

Our band program is actually the official #1 Symphonic Winds band in the US. We've always gotten straight I's in every single band for years on end in each of our 4 bands.

Too lazy to go to YouTube and get a vid, so just go look us up. :p
Back to top Go down
http://gunz.ijji.com
ScaldingHotSoup
Baby pokemon
Baby pokemon
ScaldingHotSoup

Best HS marching band in the world! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Best HS marching band in the world! Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Best HS marching band in the world!   Best HS marching band in the world! EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:19 pm

Pssh. Lakota West = pretty good. Nothing compared to Nishihara. You really haven't watched the video, have you?
Back to top Go down
PCG520
MMO Co-ordinator
MMO Co-ordinator
PCG520

Best HS marching band in the world! Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Best HS marching band in the world! Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Best HS marching band in the world!   Best HS marching band in the world! EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:23 pm

ScaldingHotSoup wrote:
Pssh. Lakota West = pretty good. Nothing compared to Nishihara. You really haven't watched the video, have you?

TL;DR.

Their Asian powers don't make a good marching band, only superior bands have the shake shake dance. :p

Plus they're Asian, it's a given.

EDIT: Just watched it and their curves were straight. For all that practice they suck a lot. :V
Back to top Go down
ScaldingHotSoup
Baby pokemon
Baby pokemon
ScaldingHotSoup

PostSubject: Re: Best HS marching band in the world!   Best HS marching band in the world! EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:25 pm

I have a lot of respect for Lakota West - I come from Beavercreek. btw, do you guys have tryouts/alternates? I know some of the bigger bands around here do, and I'm not sure about you guys.

*edit* and seriously, watch it. it's a lifeshattering experience.
Back to top Go down
PCG520
MMO Co-ordinator
MMO Co-ordinator
PCG520

PostSubject: Re: Best HS marching band in the world!   Best HS marching band in the world! EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:28 pm

ScaldingHotSoup wrote:
I have a lot of respect for Lakota West - I come from Beavercreek. btw, do you guys have tryouts/alternates? I know some of the bigger bands around here do, and I'm not sure about you guys.

*edit* and seriously, watch it. it's a lifeshattering experience.

Well we try to get everybody in it, but some people just don't want to memorize the music and charts. If you can't march properly and can't memorize your things, you won't march, but if you get everything down and can work on everything, you'll do just fine.

Also, we had to march tons for the Rose Bowl Parade. That SUCKED. Try doubling the length of a usual marching band timespan and do that for hours a day.
Back to top Go down
ScaldingHotSoup
Baby pokemon
Baby pokemon
ScaldingHotSoup

PostSubject: Re: Best HS marching band in the world!   Best HS marching band in the world! EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:33 pm

Yah, we go to Florida every other year, and we do a lot of marching practice for that.

At B'creek we don't have auditions of any sort, and anyone that needs monetary assistance can apply for the orphan band kid's fun (that's what we call it anyways). 'Course, the "no auditions" policy can be a bad thing... and we usually have one or two bad eggs that can't get sense beaten into them. Our fees are also like the lowest in the state for a marching band in our (Lakota's + our) division, returning members it's 360 for the entire year. :-)
Back to top Go down
Snakehead
Admin Leader
Admin Leader

Number of posts : 305
Friend Codes : Pearl:Can't remeber Diamond: Can't remeber
Best HS marching band in the world! Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Best HS marching band in the world! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Best HS marching band in the world!   Best HS marching band in the world! EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 12:01 pm

So is bands and marching bands big in your area? It's not so popular in south England.
Back to top Go down
https://pokemonarena.forumotion.net
ScaldingHotSoup
Baby pokemon
Baby pokemon
ScaldingHotSoup

PostSubject: Re: Best HS marching band in the world!   Best HS marching band in the world! EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 3:31 pm

Yeah, Marching Band is a big deal over here, at least for band geeks like me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best HS marching band in the world!   Best HS marching band in the world! Empty

Back to top Go down

Best HS marching band in the world!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PokeArena :: Off Topic :: Off Topic-
Jump to: